Children's Sewing Class
Beginning and intermediate students will learn how to use their machine, take measurements , lay out and cut fabric, read a pattern, understand the pattern directions, finish seams and learn sewing techniques. Students will advance at their own pace .
Beginning students can choose from pajama pants/shorts, tote bag, or a simple elastic waist skirt.
You can purchase a pattern or use the tote bag pattern in class.
In the first class we will go over how to use your machine, what supplies you will need and how to buy a pattern and fabric. The only supplies needed for the first class will your sewing machine and the accessories that came with it including the manual, scissors and thread.
Students who have a basic knowledge of sewing can work on a project of their choosing and level.
Each session will be 5 weeks with each class being 2 hours, for a total of 10 hours. Cost is $100. You must sign up one week before the start of class and payment made online when you register.
All classes will be on a Saturday from 1:30 pm to 3:30 pm.
Children’s Class Policy
Please check your calendar before signing up for class and read the class policy carefully. Parents, please sign and bring permission slip to first class.
- Full payment due at time of registration.
- Due to the high number of last-minute cancellations, you must cancel at
least 7 days prior to class beginning, for a full refund.
- If you cancel 3-6 days prior to class, you will receive a 50% refund or can transfer to another class if available.
- No refunds or transfers will be given 72 hours prior to or after the start of
class, your fee is 100% forfeited.
Class will begin on time, please arrive a few minutes early to allow time to prepare for class. I do not offer make-ups or credit for missed classes. Should you have an emergency or are sick and need to miss a class, please contact me prior to class. I do require a minimum number of students for each class to move forward. If there are not enough students registered for a class and it is canceled, you will receive a full refund or credit for a future class.
Students should be at least 9 years old and be able to work independently with direction. Children are expected to behave with respect and responsibility towards themselves, others and their surroundings. If a student is causing a disturbance, is destructive, dangerous or disrespectful towards others or belongings/property of others, parents will be contacted immediately and the student will not be able to return to class and the class fee is 100% forfeited.
- November 7,14,21 and December 5,12
- Sewing machine and supplies that came with it (feet, bobbins, needles, operating manual, etc.)
- Sewing gauge
- Seam ripper
- Pattern (purchased or use tote bag pattern supplied in class),
- Notions needed to make item
- Polyester thread to match fabric
- scissors (dressmaker type only used for fabric)
- Straight pins (thin sharp or small quilting)
- Tape measure
- Tailors chalk or fabric marker
If you buy a sewing kit please purchase extra pins.
Please call the store at 972.527.7400 for registration or additional information.